The Suicide Prevention Pocketbook
How to Support Someone Who is Having Suicidal Feelings
Understandably, we may feel extremely cautious about how to approach or talk to someone who is having suicidal thoughts; we may be worried about saying or doing the ‘wrong thing’ – and this often creates a barrier to helping.
In this pocket guidebook, Joy Hibbins, founder of the charity Suicide Crisis (named the Most Innovative Mental Health Innovation at the 2021 Mental Health and Wellbeing Awards), shares her invaluable experience of helping people through suicidal crisis.
This book will show you how to:
* Understand the complexity of suicidal feelings and what may lead to a crisis
* Be aware of factors that can increase someone’s risk of suicide
* Directly ask someone about suicidal thoughts
* Build empathy and a strong connection with the individual in crisis
* Learn strategies to support someone and help them survive
The fact that you care, and you want to help, can make such a difference to someone who is in need of support.