Adventures in Opting Out
A Field Guide to Leading an Intentional Life
“The prose reads like a long letter from a good friend. The book is unique and full of wisdom. I highly recommend”
– Tammy Strobel, author of You Can Buy Happiness (and It’s Cheap)
“I emerged from Adventures in Opting Out feeling courageous. In these pages, Cait Flanders does more than simply inspire us to live with more depth and authenticity. She gives us rare, practical guidance on reaching beyond outworn cultural norms to discover—and to follow—the adventure that is ours alone to create.” Lyanda Lynn Haupt, author of Mozart’s Starling.
Here are some of the things Cait Flanders has opted out of in the past 10 years:
• Drinking, when she decided to get completely sober, at the age of 27.
• Living with debt, when she finished paying off $30,000 of it and vowed: never again
• Working in an office, when she quit to work for herself.
• Having a lot of stuff, when she decluttered and got rid of 80-85% of it.
• Having a home, when she decided to fully embrace her nomadic lifestyle.
In ADVENTURES IN OPTING OUT, Flanders offers a trail map to following her example and building a slow, mindful, minimalist life that emphasizes the beauty of the natural world, the importance of real human connection, the joys of travel, and the happiness that comes from living an intentional life in harmony with your own values.
Choosing to opt out is a brave decision, and ultimately an infinitely rewarding one. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy. There will be hardships along the way — relationships questioned, demons faced, addictions confronted — but with Flanders’s guidance and advice, drawn from her own journey and examples of others who have picked the road less travelled, you’ll have all the encouragement and insight you’ll need to build a life of purpose, fulfilment, and adventure.
Publication date: 22/07/2021
Ebook/Digital download ISBN: 9781789562804 224 pages